English-language panel discussion series ’Berlin Talks’ presented by the international short-term study programs FU-BEST and FUBiS of Freie Universität Berlin, broadcast live on October 8, 2020 at 7 p.m. (Central European time)
The international short-term study programs FU-BEST (European Studies) and FUBiS (International Summer and Winter University) at Freie Universität Berlin present an online panel discussion on October 8, 2020, entitled "German Unification 1990 - Retrospective and Outlook after 30 Years." On the occasion of the 30th anniversary of German reunification, four experts will discuss its cultural, political, social, and international dimensions, offering a retrospective as well as an outlook for the future. The discussion will take place in English; audience participation is welcome via online chat during the live-stream broadcast.
The panel discussion will address questions on, for example, how the events from 1989 to 1990 should be seen in historical perspective - was it a case of reunification, unification, or accession of the GDR? What were (and perhaps still are today) some of the most important societal dynamics and consequences? Where can we still identify a lingering East-West divide in Germany? And to what extent does unified Germany have to grapple with a "return of the past"
- Dr. Dirk Verheyen (Moderator): Academic Director, FU-BEST Program
- Dr. Marita Meyer : German studies expert; specializations include discourse on globalization and ecology in art and literature
- Dr. Martin Jander : Historian and journalist; specializations include political opposition in the former GDR
- Dr. Klaus Müller : Sociologist; specializations include post-communist transformations and international political economy
- Rolf-Dieter Schnelle : Political scientist and former German diplomat; specializations include public diplomacy, foreign cultural policy, and transatlantic relations
Broadcast of the panel discussion
- Thursday, October 8, 2020, from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. (Central European time)
- Live stream via Webex Events: fu-berlin.webex.com/fu-berlin-en/onstage/g.php’MTID=ec22bcf4273f31576314472877727c9c5 , password: berlintalks;
available later on the www.fu-berlin.de/berlintalks as well as on the YouTube channels of the organizing programs FU-BEST and FUBiS
- The event will be held in English and will be broadcast live from the Academic Senate Hall of Freie Universität Berlin. Online viewers are invited to participate via the chat with questions and comments.