Germany’s science and research system is extremely diverse. Besides the country’s research universities, there are a lot of other research organisations. The most important of them are the Max Planck Society, Helmholtz Association, Leibniz Association and the Fraunhofer Society. Besides these major players, Germany also operates a wide range of public and private research centres. All in all, there are around 750 state-financed research institutions in Germany, plus research and development centres run by industrial corporations.
- Helmholtz Association: The Helmholtz Association with 28,000 employees in 16 research centres is Germany’s largest scientific organisation and has an annual budget of approximately 2.8 billion euros.
- Max Planck Society: The Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science is an independent, non-profit research organization that primarily promotes and supports research at its own institutes.
- Leibniz Association: The Leibniz Association comprises 86 research institutions which address scientific issues of importance to society as a whole. They provide infrastructure for science and research and perform research-based services
- Fraunhofer Society: The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft undertakes applied research of direct utility to private and public enterprise and of wide benefit to society.
- Kooperation international is a portal for international cooperation in education and research and a communication platform for those seeking information and cooperation partners in Germany and abroad,
- Forschungslandkarte shows all public and private research institutions in Germany.
- research-in-germany.de: The English web portal is an information platform that provides information on Germany’s research landscape, funding and career opportunities. The news section is the easiest way to stay up-to-date with current news and developments in science and research in Germany. The portal also offers a selection of over 300 annotated links to interesting websites.
- See also the list of the German universities.
Last job offers
- Physics - 26.2
Physiker/in, Ingenieur/in Luft- und Raumfahrttechnik, Maschinenbau o. ä. Promotion: "Reduzierung des Strömungswiderstandes...
- Administration - 25.2
Wissenschaftliche/r Mitarbeiter/in Beratung Forschungsförderung (80–100 %)
- Physics - 24.2
Physiker/in, Ingenieur/in Luft- und Raumfahrttechnik, Maschinenbau o. ä. Promotion: "Experimentelle Erfassung turbulenter...
- Environment - 19.2
Wissenschaftliche/-r Mitarbeitende/-r Erneuerbare Energie-Systeme (60 - 80 %)
- Pedagogy - 14.2
- Pedagogy - 14.2
- Mechanical Engineering - 11.2
Dozent/-in für Systemtechnik / Mechatronik (100 %)
- Life Sciences - 7.2
Pre-ERC Postdoc Program in Cellular, Molecular and Digital Medicine