Technische Universität München
22.09.2020, Wissenschaftliches Personal The new Chair for Digital Agriculture at the Technical University of Munich, Prof. Senthold Asseng is looking for an outstanding applicant for a Postdoc position in Vertical Farming under his supervision.
Located in the prosperous capital of Bavaria and home to over 39,000 students, the Technical University of Munich (TUM) is one of the world’s top universities (top 4 European technical universities in The World University Ranking, top 50 in Shanghai Ranking, top 10 in Global University Employability Ranking). It is committed to excellence in research and teaching, interdisciplinary education, and the active promotion of promising young scientists. TUM benefits from the healthy mix of companies and startups of all sizes headquartered in the region and is tightly connected to regional research hospitals. The university also forges strong links with companies and scientific institutions across the world. Digital Agriculture
at TUM is a Chair located at Weihenstephan. It focuses on interdisciplinary research linking crop production with artificial intelligence (AI) tools. A key initiative of Digital Agriculture is the development of a pilot vertical farm. Vertical farming is an alternative for growing crops in the field. Growing crops in vertically stacked layers was enabled with the invention of light-emitting diodes (LEDs). The breakthrough was perceived in the last 10 years with LEDs becoming affordable and so efficient that they are redefining the economics of indoor and vertical farming. In vertical farms, all growth factors including light, temperature, humidity, CO2 level, ventilation, water and nutrients can be controlled and optimized, with simultaneously excluding weeds, pests and diseases. The research goal of the pilot vertical farm will be to explore optimal crop growing conditions using energy and cost-efficient AI technologies for food, medical and industrial crops.
We are looking for an outstanding Postdoc to contribute to the design, development and maintenance of a pilot vertical farm located in Weihenstephan. This Postdoc position will give you a unique opportunity to work on design, construction and implementation crop production technology combined with artificial intelligence tools. Please consider applying if you have a strong background in crop physiology and linking crop production with AI tools.
We especially seek individuals who have experience and knowledge in the following areas:
- Practical experience of glasshouse or indoor crop production
- Profound knowledge of AI tools, including robot control, optimization, machine learning and simulation
- Experience in programming and handling robot systems (e.g. lightweight industrial robots or research systems)
- Experience in writing highly optimized and efficient software
- Willingness and interest in learning about new and challenging topics
- Stimulating, high-paced environment for cutting-edge research in vertical farming, including crop physiology, crop production, robotics, machine learning, and systems intelligence.
- Pleasant working conditions with interesting and challenging tasks in collaboration with a talented and interdisciplinary scientific and management team.
- An exceptional opportunity to experience research in a highly inspiring international environment and to learn from some of the world’s leading researchers.
- The opportunity to develop your professional research and leadership skills in a high-impact field with excellent career opportunities.
- A motivation letter describing your research interests, your qualifications, and why you would be a suitable candidate
Interested applicants should send the necessary documents via email to:
quoting "Postdoc Position in Vertical Farming" in the e-mail subject line.
The position will be filled as soon as possible and only shortlisted candidates will be notified. Preference will be given to applications received before 15 November, 2020.
TUM has been pursuing the strategic goal of substantially increasing the diversity of its staff. As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, TUM explicitly encourages nominations of and applications from women as well as from all others who would bring additional diversity dimensions to the university’s research and teaching strategies. Preference will be given to disabled candidates with equal qualifications. International candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Hinweis zum Datenschutz:
Im Rahmen Ihrer Bewerbung um eine Stelle an der Technischen Universität München (TUM) übermitteln Sie personenbezogene Daten. Beachten Sie bitte hierzu unsere Datenschutzhinweise gemäß Art. 13 Datenschutz-Grundverordnung (DSGVO) zur Erhebung und Verarbeitung von personenbezogenen Daten im Rahmen Ihrer Bewerbung. Durch die Übermittlung Ihrer Bewerbung bestätigen Sie, dass Sie die Datenschutzhinweise der TUM zur Kenntnis genommen haben.