salary in Germany: phd, postdoc, prof, researchers
- The pay regulation (Bundesbesoldungsordnung BBesO) regulates the salaries of federal and state employees. It contains the pay regulations A, B, C, R und W.
- The pay regulation W applies for professors, lecturers and scientific assistants. It contains the pay grades W 1, W 2 und W 3.
- Before 2005/2006, professors were classified in the pay grades C3 and C4 (exceptionally C2). But the regulation C has been displaced by the regulation W.
Salaries of professors
Monthly basic salaries for W-Professors 2009
|Pay grade||Position||Monthly basic salary (€)
|W2||Lecturer, adjunct professor. May have a small research team and a limited budget.||3.890,03|
|W3||Ordinary professor, full professor. Has its own research team and budget.||4.723,61|
Source: Deutscher Hochschulverband
- A seniority does not exist. However, family allowances can be added to the basic salary. (Married: 105,28€, first and second child 90,05 € each, third and following children: 230,58 €.)
- Performance-linked payments may be added to the basic salaries W2 and W3 (e.g. for special performances in research and teaching or for specific functions.)
Gross salary receipt of W-professors depending on the Land
Monthly mean gross income (in €) of full-time employed federal and state employees in the pay grade W in June 2008
An overview of the salaries of professors in the German Länder can also be found at the Hochschulverband.
General salaries in Germany
The gross monthly earnings in the production industries is about 3500 €, depending on the Länder. An overview can be found at the Statistical Offices.
- w-besoldung.net provides information about the pay grade W.
- The Deutsche Hochschulverband provides information about the income for W-Professors as well (only in German).
- Bundesbesoldungsgesetz (Federal law about incomes): General regulations, basic income and benefits at German universities (only in German).
- forschung.w-besoldung.net is a research project about the W pay grade. You can find useful information about the W pay grade (only in German).
Last job offers
- Continuing Education - 11.6
Dozent/in für Professionsentwicklung (60 %)
- Physics - 7.6
Remote Sensing Scientist – 3MI Polarimetry (VN 19/24)
- Pedagogy - 6.6
Assistent/in der Institutsleitung (30 %)
- Health - 6.6
- Chemistry - 4.6
Project Manager Enzyme Engineering (100 %)
- Materials Science - 31.5
Postdoctoral Fellowship - Empa
- Life Sciences - 28.5
PhD position on the effect of electromagnetic fields (5G) on human brain functions
- Law/Forensics - 21.5
Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiter (m/w/d)