English-language panel discussion series "Berlin Talks" presented by the international short-term study programs FU-BEST and FUBiS of Freie Universität Berlin, broadcast live on December 17, 2020, at 7 p.m. (Central European time)
Dec 16, 2020
The international programs FU-BEST (European Studies) and FUBiS (International Summer and Winter University) are presenting an online panel discussion entitled "Migration in Berlin, Germany, and Europe: Challenges and Prospects - Before, During and After Corona" on Thursday, December 17. Four experts will discuss the national and international dimensions of this topic. After a retrospective of the past several years, the focus will shift to the question of how the issue of migration has unfolded in Europe, Germany, and Berlin over the course of 2020 as a result of the pandemic. During the last part of the session, panelists will speculate on the pandemic’s aftermath: What changes will remain? What will change yet again? What aspects of pre-pandemic life will return to the forefront? The discussion will take place in English. Audience participation is welcome via the online chat during the live-stream broadcast.
- Dr. Dirk Verheyen (moderator): Academic director, FU-BEST
- Margreth Lünenborg : Freie Universität Berlin, Institute for Media and Communication Studies
- Nikolaus von Peter : Representation of the European Commission in Germany
- Christiane Beckmann : "Moabit hilft" e.V. (local initiative assisting refugees)
- Duygu Gürsel : Course instructor for "Migration: Dynamics and Controversies in Europe and Berlin" in the FU-BEST program
Broadcast of the panel discussion
- Thursday, December 17, 2020, 7:00 - 8:30 p.m. CET
- Live stream via Webex Events: fu-berlin.webex.com/fu-berlin-en/onstage/g.php’MTID=e60c3a1ee2c4d54e316d0af8e51b5bb61 (password: berlintalks);’ available later on the website www.fu-berlin.de/berlintalks as well as on the YouTube channels of FU-BEST and FUBiS , which are both organizing the event.
- The event will be held in English and will be broadcast live from the Academic Senate Hall of Freie Universität Berlin. Online viewers are invited to participate via the chat with questions and comments.
About Freie Universität Berlin European Studies Program (FU-BEST) and Freie Universität Berlin International Summer and Winter University (FUBiS)
These international short-term study programs include German language instruction as well as a large selection of courses in a variety of subjects, many taught in English. Participants can choose between a semester-long program or the summer/winter program. For more information visit www.fubest.org and www.fubis.org. Both programs have been awarded the Quality Improvement Program (QUIP) quality seal by the Forum on Education Abroad. In 2019, they welcomed a total of 934 students from over 40 countries to Freie Universität Berlin.
As a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, the programs also offer academic online programs awarding internationally recognized ECTS credits as well as free online public lecture series. The online offers from FU-BEST and FUBiS were recognized in 2020 by the initiative "Germany ’Land of Ideas’: Beyond Crisis."
- "Berlin Talks" panel discussion series: www.fu-berlin.de/berlintalks
- Upcoming talks:
December 17, 2020 Migration in Berlin, Germany, and Europe: Challenges and Prospects - Before, During and After Corona
February 8, 2021 Sustainability - From Buzzword to Guiding Principle
April 15, 2021 Digital Revolution - Opportunities, Challenges, Implications
June 17, 2021 Young Globalization - Role and Impact of Young Leaders in a Post-National (?) World
- Videos from the free FU-BEST lecture series 2020: www.fubest.org/online YouTube
- Videos from the free FUBiS lecture series 2020: www.fubis.org/online YouTube
- FUBiS term I, online courses, January 4 - 27, 2021: www.fubis.org/online/online_courses
- FUBiS term II and term III, on-site and online courses, summer 2021: www.fubis.org/de/2_prog/index.html
- FU-BEST online courses, February 8 - May 14, 2021: www.fu-berlin.de/en/sites/fubest/online/online_courses